Sunday, September 23, 2007

Drink to your health

Let's talk about what we drink. I don't think there are any doctors or scientists who would recommend drinking sodas. Or any of them disagree we need more water. But the first step is to do what we know is healthy.

Colas are one of the worst foods for us. Just learn a little about high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners, not to mention carbonation, artificial flavors, etc.

But let's talk about what we do drink...First, we need pure water. You want a good water filter, preferably something better than just a carbon filter. But remember, it's not helping if you don't change the filter. I have one from RBC Life Sciences, b/c we are members there. It attaches on the faucet. One day I'd like the reverse osmosis under the counter.

But do you know there are lots of other drinks that are like taking supplements. As I said early, I drink a couple oz. of Ningxia Red from Young Living every day. It really helps me have an energy boost that isn't followed by a low. I've also been hearing about a couple of other super juices on the market. But don't expect anything great from the grocery store. Apple juice is over filtered and is too high in sugars. Orange juice often contains mold (get one moldy orange in the machine and it affects the whole batch.

At our house we drink only raw milk. It's a big debate about whether milk is healthy, but few ever consider if the way we process it could be the problem. One doctor use to have a "raw milk cure", where raw milk was the main food you ate to find healing from various disease. Want to know more about raw milk (safety, where to get it, why, etc.) See: http://www.realmilk.com/

I also drink Kombucha. It's this great fermented tea. You can make it yourself, but right now I'm just buying it from the health food store. Don't drink too much at once though--it's pretty powerful, so they say you should ease into it.

Or you can make an Apple Cider Vinegar Drink (see my post "First Steps"). I also like to make Lemonade or Limeade with: 2 Tbsp. fresh squeezed organic juice (about 1/2 a lemon or lime) and 2 Tbsp. Organic Grade B Maple Syrup.

And of course if you want hot drinks, I suggest Red Tea sweetened with honey. Or herbal teas can benefit you in different ways.

As my daughter was learning in science, 2/3 of your body is water. So, pay attention to what's in your glass.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Hello, I stumbled upon your blog somehow, don't even remember how. I, too, have lyme, 2 young children, am married, and homeschool. It coupled with the lyme is exhausting. Your posts are so helpful. I wanted to second the kombucha drinking. I did, though, drink an entire bottle yesterday, and let's just say my body was not ready for it. :) Anyways, thanks so much for your helpful blog.