Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Cure for Colds--Home Remedies Amish-style

Once when I was up in Amish country, I picked up a little book called Home Remedies From Amish Country. It's a great book of old-fashioned health aids out of your kitchen cabinet. Here's a few:

--Use honey on burns. (It's the best thing I've ever found!)
--Rub vinegar on forehead, temples, palms, and bottoms of feet to reduce fever. (I use Apple Cider Vinegar)
--Use clove oil directly on a tooth to numb tooth pain. (They even say you can put a whole clove in a cavity--haven't tried that one.)

In fact the Amish Home Remedy book is the first place I discovered the Apple Cider Vinegar Tonic and the Master Cleanse. The Apple Cider Vinegar lists SO many things it's useful for: bruises, food poisoning, colds, and avoiding symptoms of "aging" to mention a few.

So, how does this fit into staying healthy. Again, diet, avoiding chemicals/toxins, and washing hands are how we stay healthy. But these home remedies are great for simple problems. They are not as strong as other natural medicines, but that's b/c they are not really medicine, but rather food. "Let you food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food."

And they are cheap and usually available. Like the time I sloshed hot water on my hand at a restaurant. I just got some honey from the counter and put a small piece of napkin over it and I was all fixed up. The book is not really well organized as it just lists all the ideas that various people sent in. But I really like the solutions I've found and the book was well worth it. I even gave them out for Christmas one year.

If your really interested in the book, you have to order it by mail--these are Amish people!

Abana books ltd, 6523 Township Rd, 346 Millersburg, OH 44654.
Send check or money order for $10 plus 7% tax if you live in OH.
(And no, I don't make any money off this!)

No comments: