Saturday, January 19, 2008

Eat it or wear it--it doesn't matter which

It's winter--the time when our lips and hands tend to dry out. But before you pick up a bottle of lotion or a tube of chap stick, you might want to know what thing--you're body absorbs most of what you put on it. That's why you can wear a patch to take in medicine. So, look at those ingredients and ask yourself if they are edible. If it's not, it's probably adding toxins to your body. Maybe your body can handle a bit of that, but mine can't! But before you get too stressed out....

Wait..it's a food, it's a lotion, it's medicine....no, it's coconut oil. I LOVE coconut oil in place of lotion. It's solid, but melts almost instantly when you touch it. I discovered it when I had a runny nose and the skin hurt so bad and I decided to experiment. But since I've realized how great it is for dry skin.

Another good trick for your hands, is get rid of your regular soap and use Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap. A 32 oz. bottle lasts between 6 mon. and a year at our house and is only about $10. I fill up old foam hand soap containers with about a tablespoon of the soap and the rest water. (Just try and see if it's too thick or too thin) and that's our very CHEAP and non-toxic soap. I will worn you, the bottle is covered with religious writing, but not Christian ones. But, it goes under you sink for refills, so I don't worry about it.

When I first switched to this soap, I was shocked at how quickly my dry skin disappeared. But this year I needed the coconut oil b/c I'm washing my hands so much due to potty training my sweet daughter who has also had a runny nose!

Well, all the talking about dry skin reminds me--I need to drink some more water!

No comments: