Sunday, November 25, 2007

If it's all about me, then I won't be the "one".

(Beware--it's time for some philosophical rambling.)

This morning, I heard (again) the story of the 10 lepers that Jesus healed and how only 1 (not even a Jew) returned praising God, falling at Jesus' feet, and expressing thanks. As I thought about the story, I realized that it seems the difference in the 1 vs. the 9 is simply focus. Stay with me and I'll explain.

I mean I can vividly imagine a dramatic healing and the amazing freedom it would mean. Imagine every action is restricted. You'd feel like a prisoner and suddenly your free--you can do all the things you've missed for years and years. What would you do first? See, that depends on your focus. If it's "all about me", then you have probably dwelt on what YOU couldn't do for all the time and how unfair, so now it's time to catch up on the lost years.

BUT if it's all about God, then you wouldn't be focused on yourself, but on the awesomeness of the God that healed you. And then you would have had the chance to be the one. Think about it--the nine got healed, but the one got healed AND got to praise the living God in person on earth. It seems to me, that the others missed God in the process of enjoying His gift of health.

So, now where I get convicted. What about my sickness? Is it all about me? What I miss out on? What I can't do? How this affects me? By the way there is a good "me" question to ask: Did I do something to cause or allow this? (My answer would be "yes-carelessness with my health.")

Or is God the center of the universe? Maybe I should be asking: How is He using this for good? Am I allowing Him to use this for good? Does my suffering give me a closer connection to the Savior who suffered? (But not why did God cause this?)

If I'm looking for the healing and hoping that I will be one who praises God for it. But I think I need to start now, making God the center, so I'll be focusing on Him when the healing comes.

In fact, our emotions play such a part in our health. Keeping your heart free is just another good thing you can do for your health. But let's not forget, it's not all about "me" and my health and suffering. There is a bigger picture and best of all, our suffering is only "momentary", as is our time on earth.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Thanks for commenting back. I will definitely tell you my long and drawn out story someday. When the kids are in bed :) Anyways, good to know there are other people in my boat.